Friday, December 16, 2011

Penelope's sleeping habits

This past week Penelope has had a unique schedule. There are some pros and cons to it. Her day goes something like this:

Starting at 8/9PM
8 PM - Eats and goes to bed. Simple enough, and I thoroughly enjoy the next 5-6 hours of sleep.
2 AM - Wakes up and eats & calmly goes back to sleep. Now the fun begins. I put her down, she tosses and turns until she wakes up. I go through a series of rocking, walking, putting her down, holding her, etc for about an hour until I give up and either Wayne or I spends the next three hours holding her tightly against us in bed while she sleeps.
6 AM - Wide awake!
8 AM - Gets tired and sleeps for 20 minutes
12 PM - Gets tired and sleeps for 24 minutes
4 PM - Gets tired and sleeps for 21 minutes

So by this time she has slept a total of 10 hours and 5 minutes. That is all she will sleep. I have read that infants her age should sleep 10 + hours at night and 4-6 hours during the day. We have tried swaddling, we have tried un-swaddled. We have tried back sleeping and side sleeping, a warm room and a cool room. We have tried cribs, swings & car seats, music and vibrating seats. I am out of ideas.

However, little P. is still a delightful baby. She is happy & smiley. If she is a bit fussy, she goes to sleep for one of her 20 minute cat-naps and then is all smiles again. I would like for her to sleep soundly for the second half of the night, and even possibly take a 1 or 2 (ok, I'm dreaming) hour nap, but I am torn between a) the fact she doesn't need more than 10 hours of sleep and b) thinking of other ways to keep her asleep.

And now....some more pictures!




She's cute even when she's mad...


But Cuter when she's happy!




4 comments:

  1. She is so cute, even when she pouts. Wish she was sleeping a bit more for you. Can't wait to see her again. Katy had her little girl on Thursday Dec. 16, 7lbs3oz. They named her Safiya Roselle. Nice to have a baby in mtg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She IS cute when she pouts. And I am so, so sorry she doesn't nap. Naps are so fantabulous! My kids slept horrid at night, but they generally had good naps, which made up for it. Gilbert still generally takes a 2 hour nap each afternoon.

    Maybe this is just an indication of Penelope's superior brain activity! She can't sleep when there is so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Teah prides herself on getting all three of her babies to sleep 8 hrs straight by 2 weeks old. I should ask her what the secret is! I wish I could cozy baby P so bad!! Dang you for moving away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, she is just so sweet. Jaxon's favorite place to sleep is in his Moby wrap, which is pretty handy while I am sitting at the computer working all day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.