Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A disgruntled post office user

I have not been a huge fan of the post office lately. Geri & Joanna recently sent a nice box of things for Penelope. I should back up. We recently received a package from Geri & Joanna. It was send eons ago. It was sent before Thanksgiving. When Scott & Geri came for Thanksgiving, they said, "Did you get the box?" No, we hadn't. We had decided the box was lost in transit somewhere along the way, when it finally arrived about a week ago. Here is a cute bathrobe that Joanna got Penelope:


But we did eventually get the box delivered. In another run-in with the post office, I ordered some photo gifts from Shutterfly. They were small, but too big to fit into our mailbox. So I got this card in the mail that says "We tried to deliver your package, but you weren't home." First off, as a stay-at-home mom/wife/eccentric blogger, I was home all day and KNOW you didn't "try" to deliver the package. But, I good-naturedly follow the directions to go online to schedule redelivery. Later that day I get a phone call:


"Hi, this is Larry from the Post Office...we can't redeliver your package"

Me "Why did you say you could on the card?"

Larry "Well, in a perfect world we would, but we are busy and don't have the manpower"

Me "Why don't you leave it in one of the large boxes designated for packages that are next to row off little mailboxes?"

Larry "We would have but they were all full of priority mail"

Me "Why can't you leave it the next day?"

Larry "We are just too busy with all the Cyber Monday shopping"

Me [sigh] "How do I get my package"

Larry "Come to the post office and get it"


OK, the post office is 12 miles away. I guess can manage to come and get it. But it bothers me that the post office was PAID to deliver my mail to me, yet I have to come and get it.


So, when I go to the Post Office, I smile and say hello and hand the card to Mr. DoIHaveToWalkToTheBackRoomToGetYourPackage. Mr. D. does not say anything, but turns to waddle to the back room to get the package. He returns a full 5 minutes later, and without saying anything or making eye contact, hands me the package. I say thanks. Still nothing. Totally expressionless.


Well I am sorry you hate your job/self/life, Mr. DoIHaveToWalkToTheBackRoomToGetYourPackage. But everyone else I deal with can make eye contact, speak at least 1-2 words, and sometimes, quite often actually, smile.


And Larry, everyone else does their job, even when they are busy. They don't make their customers do their work for them.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this is why the Post Office is a couple billion in debt....

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.