Friday, November 18, 2011

Midnight Meanderings

A little insight to my thoughts last night while feeding Penelope at 12:30 (Yes, a.m.):

Usually I either don't remember or quickly forget my dreams. However, last night I made a point of remembering the dream I was dreaming when I got up to feed Penelope. I am neither an expert or dream fanatic, only stupefied as to how bizarre dreams usually are.

So, in my dream I was on the ranch I grew up on, out in the corrals. There were horses in one of the pens, but one of them had gotten out through a hole in the fence. (OK, pretty normal. What is weird is the horses that were there were ones that we owned when I was about 10, not any horses we owned in recent history. Weird how my brain put those particular horses there.)

Then, this guy is there with a pickup and trailer. On his trailer is an airplane. (odd, who drives around towing an airplane?) He gets into his plane, apparently to find the horse that got out, and attempts to take off. After failing, he ditches the plane. Then I look in the back of his pickup and see a space where a first aid kit should have been, but was missing. (Why would I notice that? I'm sure that probably "means" something important.) Anyway, the guy with the plane wasn't just anyone. He was a very specific someone, who I had met once in my life. I think he was the town drunk/sleezeball and for whatever reason, he was working for dad for a very short period of time. Why would I pick him out to be in my dream flying an airplane?

Then Penelope squeaked, so the dream ended and I got up to feed her.

At that point I was thinking about food and Thanksgiving (I must have been hungry). So I started to think about turkeys, then about chickens and the bizarre foods we eat.

When I was little, mom would always buy this canned chicken. When I say canned chicken, I mean the whole chicken was in a large can, skin, bones and everything, all attached. You opened the can and pulled out a small fully cooked chicken. I have never seen this since I have been buying groceries myself, and now seems a little odd.

Then my mind roamed to making some sort of cranberry salad/relish for Thanksgiving. When I was little.....we would always have jellied cranberry 'stuff' from a can. You cut off both ends of the can and pushed the stuff out and it stayed in one crisp cylinder. I think I ate too much of it years ago, because the thought of eating it again makes me a bit sick. However, I recently I saw something cool that would be fun to try: buy this jellied cranberry stuff, slice it, and use Thanksgiving-themed cookie cutters to cut out cool shapes, then use them as a garnish. Just a thought for those overly ambitious souls getting more than 4 consecutive hours of sleep at a time.

Then I was thinking of other weird foods we eat that seem perfectly normal until you think about them: Tubed crescent rolls, biscuits, and cinnamon rolls. Who came up with this idea, and how long do they last? Indefinitely I think, as long as they are in the refrigerator. After thinking about this a while, I feel slightly grossed out. I have no problem making biscuits by hand, and I've figured out how to make cinnamon rolls with the bread machine, but how am I ever going to figure out how to make crescent rolls by hand? Sounds like a lot of work. I guess I will just have to continue buying those cardboard tubes, and put up with the loud POP that always scares me more than a rogue mouse in the floorboards.

Penelope finally succumbed to another few short hours of sleep, so that was all the random-food thoughts I had for the night. Here's hoping for a great Thanksgiving that does not include whole-canned poultry, jellied cranberry stuff, and tubed crescent rolls.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely more weirded out more by the whole chicken that the jellied cranberry. The cookie cutter idea would be great to keep some "helpers" occupied while we cooked on Thanksgiving, I will have to remember that! I hope you can get a little more sleep over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to the conclusion, mostly to save my sanity, that my dreams are bizarre and that is that. The wide range of happenings, the random people involved, etc just is too much for me to sort out into some important and coherent "meaning." :-)
    I remember thinking about food a LOT when breastfeeding in the middle of the night. Yesterday, we were driving through the Adirondacks and I just kept thinking about food. About all the good food in the world that I may not even know about now. The good food that I DO know about and which I would most like to have RIGHT NOW. I may have been hungry.
    And whole canned chickens are weird and nauseating and canned cranberry relish, slightly gross. Tubed crescent rolls... I guess I never thought of them being weird. I have to say I prefer homemade biscuits and cinnamon rolls, but when I was a kid, I thought biscuits in a can were the bees knees. Still, there are times when a grand from a can seems just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom commented that the canned chicken made good soup. Which it did. That's the only thing I remember we ever made with it. Still weird. Another thing about tubed biscuits: I once tried to 'save' half of a tube that I didn't use for later. When 'later' came along....the biscuits were grey. Soooo, that is probably the main reason I now think they are gross.

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.