Tuesday, September 6, 2011

[Not] Sleeping While Pregnant

After a long day of carrying around an extra 30 pounds, one looks forward to the comfort of their cozy, warm bed. At least I do. So I start winding down, maybe take a bath, and put pajamas on. (or some article of clothing that still fits) Next, it's the big debate: Eat a snack and face the heartburn vs. get up at 1 AM to have a bowl of cereal. I opt for the snack now, since something at 1 AM still does not guarantee no heartburn later. I smartly make sure I have everything I might need on my bedstand: Tums, water, Chapstick, my phone, and a bag of bagels, just in case. Now I just need to go to the bathroom one more time before I turn in. Done. I lay down and chew a preventative Tum. Now, as many of you know, sleeping on your back is a big no-no during pregnancy, so I lay on my side and grab some Chapstick. My swollen feet hurt, so I try to elevate them slightly. There goes one pillow. The next pillow is propped between my legs, as it is supposed to relieve the pain in my pelvis. Great. Now, another couple Tums, as my throat keeps gurgling, and another pillow to elevate my head slightly. Now, I can finally relax. Feeling pretty good, but I can't sleep. So I grab my phone and read for a while. I finally feel sleepy, so turn off the phone. Uh-Oh, better go to the bathroom one LAST time, so I don't have to get up soon. So off to the bathroom, back to bed, feet up, head up, pillow between legs. Go to sleep. It is approximately 1030 PM. The remainder of the night passes like this:

12 AM - Wake up, man I feel like I've been sleeping well, it must be close to 4. Nope, only midnight. Go to bathroom where a torrent floods the toilet bowl. I wonder briefly if my water has broken, but decide I will just go back to bed and not worry about it. I'm sort-of hungry, but if I don't think about it, it should go away.

1 - Still can't sleep, go to the bathroom and take 2 Tums

3 - Wake up, hands are totally numb. Move them around until I feel them again, and get ready to get up to go to the bathroom. I'm facing the inside of the bed, so must roll over first. One, Two, Three....OK, good. Push/pull/will myself out of bed without moaning too loudly. Walk on numb feet to bathroom. Decide water has not broken. Apply more Chapstick and drink some water.

4 - Wayne gets up and goes to work. I tell him goodbye and sleep well until it starts to get light at....

6 - Go to the bathroom. Move feet and hands around until I can feel them again. Drink more water, as I am almost parched. Babygirl has the hiccups.

7 - Bathroom. Starving, so I go eat some fruit and yogurt. Decide I will sleep in as long as I can to try to get more rest.

730 - Give up, get up and start my day.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! :-) I used to be relieved when morning came when I was pregnant. The relief of not having to pretend to sleep and toss and turn and think there HAS to be a way to be comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I remember this! I always did manage to fall asleep, but it's the every-hour-on-the-hour potty runs that filled me with dread. Plus the fact that my back hurt in the morning. And my hips. And my pelvis. Over a year since my last pregnancy, I am still filled with a sense of wonder sometimes when I realize it has been HOURS since I thought about visiting the bathroom! Hope you get SOME sleep, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.