Friday, February 3, 2012

Back from the big city

Penelope and I have been to Salt Lake three times in the past three weeks. At around 230 miles each way, that is an impressive 1500 miles we have driven. You might imagine me to be a bit crazy, which is probably true. However, each trip was enjoyable, thanks to the fact that we live in rural Nevada with little entertainment, shopping, and human contact.

The first trip I have already blogged about here. Then we went to the airport last week to pick up my mom, a fairly uneventful trip. Then early this week we went back to spend time with my aunt & uncle and return mom to the airport. This last trip was a bit more eventful.

Remember how my lovely husband has an obsession with buying cars, and I am the one who gets to register them? Well, it is also my privilege to maintain these cars. Which has become even more enjoyable since Wayne has been interested in BMWs as of late.

So, Wayne decided to make my trip to Salt Lake more productive by making me an appointment to get the car fixed. Luckily he made it at 9:30 AM, so I could just get on the road after Penelope's 4 AM feeding instead of sleeping in. Mom, Penelope, and I went to the dealership where we got a loaner car to use for what I thought would be the day. I grabbed the car seat and two large bags filled with baby paraphernalia. Unfortunately when late afternoon came, the car was not done, all of our overnight things were still in the car. My mom her suitcase and bag in the car, and was to fly out early the next day. Luckily we had diapers. We did have a good day shopping and a nice dinner with the cousins.

Mom was able to get her bags out of the car early the next day before she flew home. I decided to do some furniture shopping. I have been on a quest to find a nice glider rocker. I bought one online, but sent it back due to it being slightly defective and its overall state of cheapness. Wayne said I should just buy a good quality one to last through the next five kids. Interesting....

Anyway, I got to the furniture store, and after looking at a few, I found one that I liked. I had to buy the ottoman separately of course, and the grand total came up to about $350. After hemming and hawing a bit, I finally got up the courage to try to bargain with the salesman. I have NEVER done this before. I finally, although nervously, said "I'll take them both if you can give me them for $300. " And the guy said yes! I was so excited I almost jumped up and down and squealed.

The car was finally done that evening. I decided to stay overnight, and leave the next morning. The next morning, I was almost to the interstate, when the car's service engine light appeared. This was the main reason the car had been worked on. So instead of leaving town, I went back to the dealership where it had been worked on. After a fun two hours in the waiting room with Penelope, we left. The car's problem apparently won't affect it (much) and is too costly to repair, a mere seven grand. A bit much for a car with 230,000 miles on it.

The girls chilling at the BMW dealership. They did have complimentary soda, flavored coffees, trail mix, and a clean restroom.

And then...The exciting trip home! I documented it with several poor phone-camera pictures, just so you could see how exciting it was.
This picture captures my view for about 95% of the drive.
The salt flats west of Salt Lake.
The Oasis exit (no services). A hodge-podge of dilapidated buildings and vehicles.
Passing by the prison... No picking up hitch-hikers!

We are glad to be back home with Wayne and enjoying the weekend together. We are actually staying home!

3 comments:

  1. You know I haven't commented in a while. BUT I do read your blog faithfully. In fact when I can't sleep sometimes and in the wee hours of the morning I am checking my email and see that you have made a post, I always read it :)

    Besides the usual I miss you and Penne' is SUPER freaking cute and getting so big!! I have to say that I don't envy your BMW repair trips. Somehow your husband must have missed the stories of Josh's car troubles. ;) And our check engine light is always on!

    We need to plan to meet in SLC sometime soon. Maybe I can fly in for a long weekend-- with my little monster.

    Miss you lots and lots!!!

    XOXO
    Xina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I told Wayne about Josh's BMW horror stories and FORBID him from buying it. You can see how much that helped...

    We definately should meet in SLC. I miss you guys TONS! The kiddos are growing up:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least you have fascinating scenery on your long drive! I will hope to see pictures of the glider rocker. But I guess I will have the opportunity of seeing it rocking one of the next five kids, so no rush... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.