Thursday, January 5, 2012

What's in a diaper

Early this morning, after an exceptionally impressive diaper explosion, I put the sheets into the washing machine. Later when I went to switch the sheets to the dryer, I found some of that gel goo that is inside of disposable diapers. At first I thought that the force of the explosion had propelled some of the gel out onto the sheets. But as I kept picking up more and more of it, I realized I had accidentally thrown a disposable diaper along in the wash. How I did this I'm not completely sure. I must have considered changing Little P's diaper in the wee hours during one of her let's-get-mommy-up-at-midnight-to-play episodes, but never got around to it. Anyway, I pulled the sheets, diaper, and lots of little gel fluffs out of the washer.

Which made me wonder what that fluff is. After Googling, it is sodium polyacrylate, a chemical found in most disposable diapers. Some people use washable diapers because they don't like their little babies tush to be surrounded by this sodium polyacrylate. I might be interested in doing more research on this, after all, chemicals and babies don't sound like a good combo. However, Wayne has threatened to do absolutely no diaper changes if they are washable, so I will not be finding out how harmful this chemical is any time soon.

I did take some photos for your viewing pleasure:



The fluff (above) and washed diaper (below)

Unfortunately, I was not able to get ALL of the fluff out of the sheets and washing machine. Since my fancy washing machine has a cleaning cycle, I decided to try it out. After reading the directions in the owner's manual, I learned something new. Apparently I'm supposed to clean my washing machine once a month. I am also supposed to clean out the detergent compartment twice a month. Twice a month! That is every other week. Who knew it took so much maintenance to get your washing machine clean - so that it will clean your clothes.

So as it nears bedtime, I will make a note not to lose any diapers in the bed, and hope that the remaining fluff on my sheets doesn't itch too much.

3 comments:

  1. I have read horror stories about how tenacious that stuff is in your washing machine, so I will wish extra hard that your cleaning cycle does a good job. And I thought washing machines were supposed to make our jobs easier, not demand maintenance like a temperamental sports car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Cloth diapers! Tell Wayne they are hip. They are cool. They are all natural. Seriously, they are totally, totally, different than the ones our parents used. Although you still can get those if you are interested in cheap options. Pre-folds, snappis, diaper wraps (no pins!), All-in-ones, contoured diapers, gdiapers, the list goes on and on. It is like a whole undiscovered world. Seriously, I got really into it when I had Orianna. Justin was anti-cloth, but didn't seem to mind too much about changing, as long as I was the one rinsing and washing the diapers. Just for fun, check out jardinediapers.com, thanksmama.com, and even diapers.com. I have two totes of cloth diapers downstairs that I am planning on pulling out for #4. :-) I did some cloth with all of them and am thinking about doing it with Gilbert again to help him potty train.
    I know, you said you weren't going to do cloth, but I can't curb my enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like crushed ice. Watch out later when you start putting in crayons oh what fun, I had to throw away a bunch of clothes, crayon is hard to get out of clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.