Monday, January 9, 2012

Items

When I was a kid, we knew this cool old fellow by the name of John McPhail. He would send us tape cassettes (remember those?) that he made himself. There might be anything on the cassette - music, stories, strange noises, etc. But there was always a little bit of personal news he would record himself, and they would be labeled as items. For instance....
"Item No. 2 Aunt Susie in North Dakota called us the other day and told us about a skunk that got in their barn and...."
So anyway, when I have random bits to report, I will start organizing them as 'items'.

Item No. 1
I am sorry that many of you aren't able to leave comments on the blog. I do not know what is wrong. I have the same problem on other peoples' blogs. Sometimes Blogger will let me comment, sometimes not. How annoying!

Item No. 2
We have had ups and downs with P's sleeping habits, and are currently on an up! Saturday night she slept for 11 hours without waking up! Last night she slept 11 hours again, waking up once. I wish I knew what makes her sleep and what makes her wiggle. Anyway, it feels great! Although there are downsides to this new 11 hour development. 1) Mommy has grown accustomed to waking every 2-4 hours, and still does. 2) Mommy wakes up well rested, but with a throbbing chest. But who am I kidding? This is great! I never knew I could think so clearly, diaper with such precision or rock so gracefully.

Item No. 3
We were out shopping somewhere, when some lady stopped to say something about how cute our baby is. Then she proceeds to say something like, "no hair now, but that means she will have beautiful hair like her mommy when she gets big." First of all, thanks for thinking my (thinning) hair is beautiful. But secondly, does that really make sense? I doubt whether or not she has hair now correlates with her hair later in life.

Item No. 4
I have noticed that Penelope's skin must absorb whatever smell is around her. After someone holds her, she smells differently. I bet I could accurately tell you who has been holding my baby in a blind scent test.

Item No. 5
I'm all out of items for today. A few pics:


Penelope's (Bigtoe's) newest toy is her feet, there are usually close at hand...


.....or in her mouth


Here is an example of the pre-11-hour sleeping nights. I was trying to make scrambled eggs. Speaking of eggs....

I had the most startling revelation the other day. I am a bit embarrassed to say this ol' ranch girl didn't know this. We were chatting with friends Gary & Marsha the other day, when they mentioned something about considering getting a rooster. So I opened my big mouth: "How in the world do you have eggs without a rooster?"


Apparently, my whole life I didn't realize that chickens lay eggs without roosters! Chickens reproduce just as any other animals, it's just their eggs are fertilized & turned into little baby chicks outside of the body, instead of inside. You learn new things all the time!

6 comments:

  1. Penelope is sure cute, and so glad you are getting more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaaha! I love the scrambled eggs. And the rooster. I believe I was in my teens when I figured that out. So it is not something that is intuitively known for farm girls. And that would probably apply to ranch girls as well.
    Item #2 Penelope is seriously adorable. I know I say this a lot, but every set of pictures, she looks slightly different and I think, "Hey! She is really cute!"
    And I sympathize with your throbbing chest. One of the hardest things about kids sleeping well after choppy sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey farm kid, The egg still gets fertilized inside the body but the egg comes out either way. Then if it has been fertilized, it only needs incubating to hatch. If it hasn't been fertilized because there is no rooster, eggs just become tasty pastries. :-)

    Dallen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh look at cutie P! I wish her and Ryker would get together. . .they would babble eachother's ears off!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Item #4 - ha ha, this is too funny. Every time the MIL held baby Desmond, we had to give him a bath - couldn't stand how he smelled - strong perfume/make up.

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.