Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Daddy, Penelope, and....Kitty?




We have two cats that are quite jealous of the new squeaky bundle and all of the bundle's accessories that have invaded our home. Wayne enjoys the cats a little more than I do, so typically Wayne will hear one of the cats meowing at the front door and go let it inside. About two minutes later, the cat is spotted by me, and I go to the back door and let it out. This then happens with the other cat. On weekends when Wayne is home, this happens all day long.

Wayne feels sorry for them and likes to pet them, and I get annoyed by their pestering, their hair, and their mice. Yes, they are like many other cats who must stick their tails in the air and parade past carrying their trophy mice. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are good mousers. I have a strong aversion to mice. However, Wayne seems to be unable to keep the cats out when they are carrying around a mouse. He knows about my aversion to mice, so tries quietly to coax them to the door. "Hey, kitty, come here kitty, no, bring your mouse. Go pick up the mouse, kitty," etc. I eventually figure out what's going on and loudly say something like, "Hon, she has a MOOOUSE! Get it OOOUT! AAACK!"

Since baby arrived, we (and by we, I mean I) have made an effort to keep the cats out. The horrors of baby being somehow bothered, smothered, or "the cat will suck the air out of your baby!" were enough for me to want to keep the cats outside. Plus, it's not like it's going to hurt them, they are animals, right?

Well, Wayne has successfully figured out how to hold the baby, feed the baby, and burp the baby, all while petting the cat who has found room on his lap to sprawl. I guess this could be a good thing. Soon he will be able to multitask by trimming both Penelope and the cat's nails at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. I love the image of the little cat parade from front door to back! And I'm all for them living outside-- you have enough to do with wiping baby poop off your forehead without worrying about cleaning up cat hair! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! This cracked me up. I didn't even know Wayne was a kitty person. Must hark back to his days of the parade of Lincoln cats. I really, really wish I could see Wayne trying to sneakily persuade the kitty to take their mousie outside without alerting you.

    And if a cat was carrying a mouse around my house, I would freak out in decibels of startling volume.

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.