Friday, August 26, 2011

How will I manage...

One thing that has surprised me since being pregnant...well, since I have been 'showing'...is people are incredibly nice to me! I never knew so many people could smile (gasp! at a stranger!) and open doors for you without acting like it is a chore. Sometimes I actually feel like I brighten someones day!

I like to shop at this Mexican fruit market. (I'm not sure if that is politically correct, but that's what I call it.) Last week, el senor gave me free jicama. This week, he insisted on carrying my bags to the car for me (there were only 2). Thanks!

Most women will start up a conversation with you. It usually proceeds like this:
1) Either: "You must be so hot!" or "When are you due?"
2) "Do you know what you're having?"
3) Depending on the person, the next bit ranges from "Well congratulations" to the details of their own pregnancy (all I ate was ketchup!), birth (the baby was squeezing the umbilical cord with its' hand!), child rearing ("Look what you have to look forward to!" as said person's child imitates a disturbed monkey), and/or grandmother-hood (my grandchildren are perfect!).

This brings me to the real question in mind: How will I manage post-pregnancy? I will have to open doors for myself, carry my own belongings, get my own food, not get to choose what restaurant to go to, and not hearing "Ok, Sheena, whatever you want" from my little brother and brother-in-law. (followed by a stage whisper of "Don't upset the pregnant lady!") I suppose the solution to this is to never go anywhere without the baby, and hope it is cute enough to bring a smile to one's face. And hope I don't realize that it is no longer me they are smiling at.

2 comments:

  1. People really like pregnant women. And it is still fine, once you have kids. Just look slightly harassed and flustered and people open doors, say "you poor thing! you have your hands full!", and act like you are single handedly raising said children to keep the world from dying out. But it does require a cute child with mildly decent manners. A hollering child is shunned along with their mother. Sad but true.
    As far as family, make noises about post pregnancy hormones and the demands that breastfeeding makes on a body. It is stretching it a little, but still. Whatever it takes to get that door opened for you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An update: I have found that when I am driving around, I still expect people to let me go first, wave, smile, etc, but realize that I am in the car and no one can see my protruding belly. Alas, I must still drive safely and obey traffic laws....

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.