Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"Babies are SOOO expensive"

Perhaps this post is a bit premature, because Babygirl hasn't even arrived yet, but I have some thoughts and opinions on this common phrase. So I will only speak on my experience spending money pre-baby, and if you think I have no clue and am in for a huge reality check, just roll your eyes and say "well....she is pregnant after all..."

First of all, My name is Sheena, and I am a frugal blog addict. Yes, I'll admit it, I spend a lot of time browsing frugal blogs, thrifty websites, do-it-yourself-and-save! - type websites. I may not save much because of it, or actually use any of the helpful tips, but I sure enjoy reading them. And I do NOT make and or use reusable toilet paper. (yes, some people do) I am however, a bit of a cheapskate, and a sucker for a good deal. So, I would like to brag about our pre-baby expenses.

New:
Car Seat: $150
Crib Sheets: $15
Hangars $5
Mattress Pad $20


Used:
Bumbo (cool little infant chair), Boppy(cool infant/nursing pillow), and Bouncer
$25
Swing $50
PackNPlay $75
Crib & Mattress (yes, I know the government says it's not 'safe' to use a used crib)
$50
Random garage sales & second hand clothing stores
$70

Free:
First of all, I apparently hit the mother-load when it comes to family and friends. Sorry to rub it in, but I have the nicest, most generous friends in the world! I have received so many great items as gifts from so many people. Here is a revised list:

Clothes (newborn up to 2T)
Lotions & Shampoos
Diapers & Wipes
First Aid stuff
Blankets
Stroller
Toys
Toddler Bed
Baby Carriers

If my math skills are correct, about $460. At normal retail prices, that would buy you a crib, carseat, and a baby swing. What's the last thing you spent $500 dollars on? A car payment, college textbooks for the semester, maybe a piece of furniture. $500 is a chunk of cash, don't get me wrong, but in other ways, it doesn't buy you much. So considering this, I am inclined to think this, "Babies CAN be SO expensive." So far, I feel our baby hasn't broke the bank. (YET...I wonder how much college textbooks will cost in 18 years?)

I did omit one splurge I made. I purchased a few cute books and stuffed animals for the baby, paying $30 for $55 worth of items using a coupon deal at a local business. One of which is the famous Goodnight Moon book, complete with the little stuffed bunny that is in the book!

So, I am quite pleased with myself for getting everything I have for around $500. But again, it is probably only thanks to getting so much stuff from awesome friends! And we shall see how much money we end up spending in the next few months once baby is here!

1 comment:

  1. I am a bit of a "look how much I got and I only paid a quarter of the retail price!" person. It gives me great pleasure. As do frugal blogs. :-)
    And babies grow too fast to use wear stuff out, so garage sales are super.
    I think the whole expensive thing comes from people who have to buy certain kinds of this and that. I remember being in Babies R Us one night and I saw new parents buying baby furniture. I felt sorry for them thinking they had to buy new stuff. Babies can grow up pretty normal with a LOT less stuff than baby books and magazines would lead you to believe.
    Hats off to good gifting friends and family!

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.