Monday, December 17, 2012

A field trip online

So, after I wrote about the naked man dancing in the field, I was wondering if any more feet had washed ashore in Vancouver. (See Something's afoot in Vancouver) So I Googled it, and apparently there have not been any more feet found.

Then I was intrigued by the headline "Missouri couple sues doctors for separating baby's head during grisly botched birth."  Which lead to "Boy dies after living without brain for three years"; "Evil nanny kills tot"; and "Sicko teen meets shocking end." I decided to stop reading grisly news stories.

Quite frequently, when I am online, I look at recipes. I get annoyed when I find something, then have to scroll down through one hundred pictures to actually see the recipe. Thanks to the Pioneer Woman, every blogger seems to think that since their cooking is the best, they need to prove it by adding countless pictures. They try to 'tweak' recipes to make them their 'own.' For instance, instead of adding 2 cups of flour, the recipe will call for 2 1/4 cups of flour, minus two tablespoons (And who ever uses 2 tablespoons, when it's the same as 1/8 cup?). As if someone wants to carefully measure out 2 1/2 cups, then un-measure two tablespoons of it. As if those extra tablespoons were the 'secret' to making their recipe great. Or maybe it's the fact that you preheat the oven to 335 degrees instead of 350.

What I really don't get is the picture fad. I guess if it looks good you want to eat it. True. But I really don't need a picture pictures of EVERYTHING. Every. Singly. Step. In case you don't know how to add one teaspoon of cinnamon, there is a picture. Turn the oven on? Picture for that too. I just want the recipe, is that too hard to ask?

Now, let's look at some of the comments. "This casserole is AMAZING! Like baked potatoes, only better!" Then you look at the ingredients: 5 potatoes, 2 cups heavy cream, 2 cups cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Why is it you were surprised that it tasted amazing? (You did read that right, five potatoes, as opposed to five pounds of potatoes.)


1 comment:

  1. I think you made a good choice to stop reading grisly news story. That would feed my overactive imagination for a long time. :-) And yeah, there are too many pictures in most recipes. I like food pictures. But sometimes, food is simply not beautiful. It is just... food. And in that case, we can skip the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.