Saturday, December 15, 2012

Socializing


The annual Christmas party for Wayne's work is always interesting. People show up in anything from sweat pants to evening wear. Many will leave in a taxi cab because of their altered mental state - some even need one to get there. Most are just letting off a little steam and enjoying the evening. And there are a few officers of the law hanging around, just in case anyone is unhappy with their boss. 

Penelope had a fun evening with Auntie Jen and I got to go somewhere with a purse smaller than a Samsonite. 

A few tidbits from the evening:

"Is that Lou Jean?" ..."Well, it looks like her, but that is NOT Lou Jean's hair!"

"I won this little candy dish that I probably won't know how to use without breaking it."

Someone looked over to another table and pointed out that someone was sleeping quite deeply. Another person saw it and said, "Oh yeah, he's been sleeping for the last hour or so."

There were door prizes given, and this was overheard when someone won a Cal-Ranch (ranch store) gift certificate: "Yes!! I'm going to buy dog food!" His wife says, "NO, I want to get feed for the cattle!!" Must be a pretty exciting gift certificate.

The evening brought to mind a few other times we have been out socializing with business contacts. One evening, I was trying to make pleasant conversation with someone's wife. 

Me: "So what do you do?"

Wife: *lights up* "Well, I am really passionate about jewelry making! I enjoy finding different vintage stones and rubies and turning them into a piece of art that someone can wear!" 

Me: *Nod my head and pretend to be interested in the next 20 minutes of conversation.*

Another time, upon meeting someone for the first time, he pulls out a (embargoed) cigar.

Man: "Sheena, I would like to present you with this cigar, a gift from my wife and I to you." (I have never met is wife either.)

Me: "Aaa, hmm, well thank you."

Man: "Now, Wayne told me you don't smoke cigars, but I think you'll enjoy this one. It's very mild and fruity. I think you will really appreciate the light notes. I just have two suggestions: Don't inhale and don't smoke it all at once."

I hope I can find the restraint to not smoke it all at once.

2 comments:

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.