Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Reflection

My next post was entitled, "Why I hate showers and hugs," but it got censured. Then Wayne mentioned that I could have written a LOT more on the post "Things I do to annoy Wayne," but as of yet he hasn't been brave enough to share them. So I will move on to this one. For your information, I still shower and hug, though not at the same time.

The past year has been exciting, exhausting and gone by at warp speed. I want to write down a few reflections and things that I don't want to forget about the first year of parenthood.

1. True sayings: "Babies are a lot of work." Yep. "You will get 'mommy-brain'(code for lose your brain)" Yep.

2. "You can't even remember life before them." Um, I can definitely remember my life before baby. Though a distant memory, I do remember sleeping in, eating with both hands while the meal was still warm, and wearing clean clothes for more than five minutes. "Your lives will never be the same." Well, to me this is like saying 'you can never live today again.' Obviously. But I'm still the same person. At least I don't think I've changed that much.

3. You can get by with little sleep for a long time.

4. Staying healthy is important. For me and the baby. Eating and exercising right help immensely while recovering from birth, breastfeeding, and all of that lost sleep.

5. Whose idea was it to put grapes in canned fruit cocktail? Very disturbing.

6. I am in awe of mothers before our generation, who were also pioneers, factory workers, or nomads, who didn't know what Pampers, Mum-Mums, or epidurals were.

7. I am in awe of mothers today who are also soldiers, widows, or refugees.

8. "Sooo....when are you guys going to start having kids?" turns into, "Sooo....ready for number two?"



1 comment:

  1. I am not sure you should let Wayne censor you. Revolt. ;-)

    I can remember life before kids, but it doesn't seem like that was ME. I have kids.

    Solution to #8--Get pregnant 6 months after having baby #1. Then everyone looks at you like you are mostly crazy and should slow down. And then people start asking "Are you going to have 8 like your Mom?" or "Aren't you guys done having kids yet?" Face it. Until you hit late 40's it is considered a good joke to ask women about babies. And some people think it just gets funnier after late 40's. Maybe in nursing homes old guys cackle after asking women "Are you done having kids yet?"

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.