Wednesday, May 23, 2012

'Up at six; Naps at nine'

That song about Mr. Mom keeps running through my head, as Penelope has been getting up around five every morning. But the good news, we are sleeping all night! I thought that this milestone would have happened months ago, but, alas, I must not be the supermom I envisioned.

Anyway, we are working on sleeping later in the mornings, but until then, our mornings have been very long. One morning last week, I decided I would just get and be productive. Penelope was playing fairly well on the kitchen floor, and I did some cooking. I made a batch of cookies, some scones, and put dinner in the crockpot. We had breakfast, and I was just washing some pans when I looked at the clock. 6:54 are you kidding me! It felt like half the day was gone, but it had only just started.

Another day, I was looking forward to going to town at noon. It took forever for those little clock arms to find there way up. Sometimes we will go to town in the morning, only to find out we got there WAY too early for any of the shops to be open.

Once I was checking the time on my phone, and realized my phone had stopped working. My phone has been doing that lately, it will turn on, but not be connecting. To fix it, I just turn my phone off, take the battery out, put it back in, and turn it on. So I did this, but it didn't get fixed. Later I realized that the phone was working fine, I was just in denial about the time.

(As a side note, my phone once stopped working when I was about 9 months pregnant. Wayne had been calling and texting all day. I didn't respond, and he was going to call the neighbors, but didn't have their phone number. He then resigned himself to the fact that he would come home and find me dead in a pool of blood. Finally, late in the afternoon, I realized the phone needed reset. Wayne was quite relieved when I called to tell him I was fine!)

We have realized the sun comes up earlier and earlier every day, and that may be part of the reason Penelope is getting up so early. On the eastern edge of the time zone, it is usually pretty light at 5 am. We also keep tabs on the neighbors, who leaves at what time, who is going to be late for the school bus, and whose dog is barking. Yep, I am that person in the neighborhood.

So we get excited when nine rolls around, and it's time for the morning nap. I contemplate what to do for the remaining 10 hours until P's bedtime, check to make sure the phone is working, and eat a few too many cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Well at least you are being productive! :-) Gilbert has been getting us up at 6. We just moved him to a toddler bed, so he can get up whenever he wants. Oh the thrill! But 6 is much more civilized than 5. I feel for you. At least you can nap at 9!

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.