Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Elixir of Life

As I was cleaning the house yesterday, the smell of Clorox brought me back to the many visits from Grandma & Grandpa Cloyd. We kids knew the visit was soon when where were made to help do an extensive cleaning on the house. Then Grandma arrived, and it was out with huge pails of Clorox water and rags to scrub every nook and cranny of the house because it was 'SO dirty!' We probably never told her we had spent the last week cleaning, anticipating her arrival. Clorox was used for everything - an elixir of sorts. Cleaning, disinfecting, foot soaks, laundry, etc. Needless to say, by the time Grandma & Grandpa's visit was through, the house (and maybe yard) smelled like bleach.

My Grandma Cassens, however, must have leaned toward the more natural side of life. Anything could be fixed by one thing: Honey. Honey was so versatile, that you could not only clean and disinfect with it, but it also healed practically everything: A cold or the hiccups for instance. I can remember her wrapping up a boo-boo of mine with a bandaid and a drop of honey. Honey was eaten with everything and kept by the caseload in the basement.

Now Baby-Girl is teething, and I'm wondering what I should do to sooth those tiny gums. I think I'll pass on the Clorox, but maybe a dab of honey would cheer her a little. Who knows, maybe it will cause all her teeth to painlessly come in, cure any future colds, and potty train her too!

3 comments:

  1. Babies really aren't supposed to have honey until they are over a year, maybe even two, I can't remember but I"m certain not until one. We used Dr. Sears teething gel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that made me laugh Sheena, actually I have always associated laundry day at my home growing up with the dreaded laundry, huge piles of it on the floor, and moms hands smelling like Clorox. I don't think I ever got my kids ever to help clean the whole house, but Wayne can tell you I used Clorox once and his good shirt happen to be in the load. I hope you don't do what my mom did to cure our ear aches or you would just happen to have to take up smoking, she would put cooking oil in our ear and blow cigarette smoke in it I don't think I had many ear aches come to think of it, though that may have been because I didn't want to have smoke in my ears which would tear up my eyes at the same time. I can't think what she did for our teething, likely chew cigars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember the Clorox. I do remember her taking the cushions and pillows on the couch apart, washing them, and then hand sewing them back together. Poor P! I feel for ya. Jaxon has been "teething" for 3 months now. Still doesn't have a tooth! Ha

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.