Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What I've learned about boys

Recently I decided to babysit two boys occasionally. And even though I grew up in between two boys, I am learning and re-learning a lot of things about boys.

For starters, boys aren't afraid of getting dirty. This is pretty much a no-brainer, but I am discovering all of the things around the boys that also get dirty. Carpet and toilets now need cleaned twice as much as they used to.

Boys love bugs. They were occupied most of yesterday with catching grasshoppers and other things that move. For some reason, last night I dreamed of lizards, skunks and chickens in my house.

Some things you just pretend you didn't hear. "Hey guess what's on my tongue? A Booger!" and "Hey, I wonder what's going to happen when I spray this grasshopper with sunscreen!"

One favorite toy has been the baby nose bulb. You know those blue ones that I haven't been able to bring myself to use because of my aversion to nose excrement. One of the boys found one and started playing with them. When brother found out, it was war until I told them I had another one. They even played with them for quite a while before they figured out that the bulbs could indeed be stuck up inside of the nose and other unique uses. Let me just say, even if I ever get used to the idea of sucking snot out of Penelope's nose, I will not be using the same bulbs that the boys played with.

These boys also think I'm Domestic Debbie, which I guess maybe I am. I do make a lot of things 'from scratch' like syrup and bread. However, I don't think my skills are THAT impressive. After making un-microwave popcorn, eating applesauce not from individual cups, and boiling water for Jello, I was a hero. One of the boys wanted ice, and I told him the ice cube maker on the front of the refrigerator didn't work, but that he could have some from the ice cube tray I had gotten out. "Whoaaaa..." he said softly in awe, "You even make your own ice cubes!" Now whenever I tell them we are out of something, they ask if I can just make it. It must have been a disappointment when they realized that I can't actually make milk and dynamite.

So the next time an eight-year-old boy asks you if you want to know what he just ate or what he did with the cat, just find something to make from scratch and see if he wants to help.

3 comments:

  1. I am laughing til the tears run, yes, boys are quite different than girls, fortunately those boys you are babysitting haven't learned how to blow up frogs putting salt on their bellies which is disgusting!! I won't let Tucker even try to drown my ant hills, I told him they deserve to live too. I was reading to Tucker last week and noticed he was licking the sweat off his face...he must be salt deprived. My boys never dis this, or maybe they hid it from me. Good luck with your babysitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! You are so cool with your homemade ice cubes! It has to be good for your self esteem anyway. And yeah, we found out with Gilbert that boys ARE different. Lots of marvelous things about them, but they tend to be more work as toddlers, running around mucking things up and giving you heart attacks as they do fearless, mostly senseless things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even get me started on boys and toilets! And how come cleaning is always a 4 letter word to boys . . . even big ones? But, messy as they are, my boys are generally my sweet ones so I guess that makes up for a lot. Love my boys.

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.