Saturday, April 6, 2013

Vegetarians

Since returning from out vacation, Wayne and I decided that in an attempt to eat more on the lighter side, We would become Vegetarians.

When I say vegetarian, I am using the word very loosely. To West Coast Yuppies, we wouldn't even come close to being vegetarians, but to the midwest communities that we grew up in, we are now super crunchy granola. (Actually people where we grew up may not even know what crunchy granola people  are. It means people who are 'out there' 'health nuts' 'hippies' etc.)

When i first suggested it to Wayne, he was enthusiastic and wanted to try it to. About five minutes later, I said, "Waaaaait a second, there is no way we are going to be able to do this." How about vegetarian, with seafood and fish twice a week. Then I thought about it again, and how we were raised with the mindset that food wasn't a meal unless there was meat in it. Three times a day. So we decided to be vegetarians, plus seafood and fish, and red meat once a week.

It has been about three weeks, and unfortunately, I have no funny or embarrassing stories about becoming vegetarians who eat seafood, fish and once-a-week-meat. The good news is that we have been eating a healthier, leaner diet, and Wayne has been loosing weight. The only bad news is that I start feeling shaky once in a while, but that is usually fixed by eating some protein. I don't want a repeat of passing out in a Verizon store. We have been trying out new foods and recipes, and discovering that you can eat a whole lot a veggies and beans for one meal.

1 comment:

  1. I like this version of vegetarianism. It is sensible. I think the biggest advantage to vegetarianism, is an increase in fruit and veggies in your diet. I am skeptical of people saying meat causes cancer (China study...) So you are getting all the benefits, in my mind, even if you eat meat a little.

    ReplyDelete

Browse our travel blog at www.worldgallivanter.blogspot.com.